The easiest sundried tomatoes in olive oil - ever! And use them in instant tomato pan fried focaccia
Salted caramel cheesecake

Do you like Nutella? It’s gorgeous stuff, kids can be addicted to it, it seems to go with everything and can be eaten straight out of the jar with a spoon. And probably often is!

But… and there’s always a but isn’t there, the nutritional content is pretty poor. Palm oil constitutes 25% of the total weight. Palm oil isn’t a great food to have often. Wiki says

According to the World Health Organization, evidence is convincing that consumption of palmitic acid increases risk of developing cardiovascular diseases, placing it in the same evidence category as trans fatty acid

A further whopping 50% of the jar is sugar, pure, simple, and also, not great in such proportions.

Nutella graphic

And it’s only the remaining 25% that is the hazelnuts, milk and cocoa that we tend to think of as the ingredients, conveniently forgetting the other 75%!

So, I’ve been pondering for a while now about trying a recipe to make some at home, with better nutrition. There are many many recipes out there for home made Nutella. Many use a bar of chocolate, but I didn’t want to do that, I wanted a little more control over the ingredients. One used condensed milk which I got quite excited about for a while, but decided against in the end.

I finally decided to have a go using similar ingredients to those shown on the graphic. I was going to change the palm oil to rapeseed oil, but decided at the last minute to use butter instead. The hazelnuts were hugely increased, now a massive 25% of the total content, and the sugar content is halved.

Home Made Nutella

Priced at Asda, June 2017
50g dried milk powder, 340g/£1,69, 28p
50g cocoa powder, 250g/£1.69, 34p
150g hazelnuts, 150g/£1.72
100g icing sugar, 1kg/£1.70, 47p
100g butter, 250g/£1.18, 47p
80ml milk, 2.27 litres/99p, 3p

Total weight 630g, total cost £3.31
This is 52p per 100g. Branded Nutella is sold in Asda in kilogram jars for 50p per 100g

Total yield 630g

Nutrition per 15g tablespoon, 52 calories, 3g fat, 3g carbs, 2g protein
Nutella nutrition per 15g tablespoon, 81 calories, 4.7g fat, 8.6g carbs, 0.9g protein

So with this home made version, we’ve reduced the calories by 36%, fat also 36%, the carbs by a whopping 65% and more than doubled the protein. I reckon that’s a pretty good result nutrition wise!

I’ve had some here for breakfast on a muffin with a few cherries from our tree

Nutella on muffins

.
//

.

To make your ‘Nutella’

The first, and most fiddly, part of the process is to toast and deskin your hazelnuts. Put the nuts on a suitable container and toast under the grill or in the oven until roasted. Watch them closely, they’ll burn easily.  Leave until cool, then rub in a clean tea towel to remove the skins. I got fed up halfway through the deskinning and threw the half skinned nuts all in the processor, it didn’t seem to make any difference!

Hazelnuts

 

Put the hazelnuts in a food processor and whizz until a very fine powder.

Ingredients

 

Add the butter, cocoa, milk powder and sugar and whizz again for a couple of minutes. Now add the liquid milk and whizz again. And that’s it, you’re done.

Taste. Add more cocoa if you want it stronger. Add more sugar if you really want it.

Home made Nutella

 

Home made Nutella

 

Verdict

This is lovely, lovely stuff! I used salted butter and when I make this again, I’ll use an unsalted version. The finished recipe is just a tiny bit too salty. Instead of the salt seasoning, I’m aware that it’s there.

Other than that, I’m extremely pleased with it. And much to my surprise, it’s more or less exactly the same price as the branded stuff sold in Asda.

The liquid milk is only 80ml, so you could probably just use water, I doubt if you’d notice.

Coconut oil could be used instead of the butter. Or you could use rapeseed oil, as I was going to. If you do use oil, I would leave out the milk.

I can definitely taste that this is a hazelnut spread, and I used those nuts because that is what Nutella is. However, absolutely any nut that you want to use would all work well and give their own unique flavour.  Do try it

 

//

Digiprove sealCopyright secured by Digiprove © 2017 Lesley Negus
Print Friendly, PDF & Email
The easiest sundried tomatoes in olive oil - ever! And use them in instant tomato pan fried focaccia
Salted caramel cheesecake
%d bloggers like this: