Vegetable Crumble is a family favourite in our house.
The girls liked it when they were still living at home, and DH loves it
- 100ml vegetable oil – 14p from a 1 litre bottle as used in meal planner (cheaper if you get the 3 litre bottle)
- 100g flour, 3p – any of the own brand bags at 45p/1.5kg
- 75g oats, 6p – 75p/1.5kg
- 100g cheese, 50p – Asda mature cheddar £4.98/kg
- 50g salted peanuts, 12p – Asda 48p/200g
- 675g mixed root vegetables, leave the peel on if you can, I use:-
- 340g potatoes, 16p – Asda £1.18/2.5kg
- 340g carrots, 27p – 80p/kg
- 100g onion, chopped, 5p – Asda 98p/2kg
- Pack of Passata, 400g or so, 29p – any of the own brands
- 3 tbsp fine chopped parsley and a couple of bay leaves if you have them
- Mix all the topping ingredients together and put to one side
- Saute all the root vegetable in a little oil until soft. You really need to do this, once you add the tomatoes, the potato and carrot don’t seem to soften any more, and boiled onion is not the flavour we are after here.
- Put the base in an oven proof dish and pile the topping over it
- Bake at 190C for about half an hour
- If you have any available, a crisp green vegetable goes well
Per serving, Serves 6
Cals 456, Protein 48g, Fat 14g Carb 28g
Cost 25p per serving
I use 2 of these pyrex dishes, and DP has two helpings, it’s the only way I can stop him helping himself to tomorrows dinner!
Any root vegetable you have will work well here. If you have seeds of any description, a spoon or two in the topping is delicious, I like sesame and sunflower
If you don’t have any cheese, leave it out, the crumble will still taste lovely