This post may contain affiliate links. If it does, and you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small amount. This does not affect the price you pay. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I believe in and that will be good for readers.
I was clearing out some Dropbox files when I came across an old Word doc from cheap family recipes times in a big old directory from then. I’ve changed it, added bits and lists and updated a couple of things, but I thought it might be interesting for all of us who miss the times when it was up and running. Just a bit of fun, for something different.
5 ways to frugalise a recipe
- Where it says cheese, change for cheddar and start with half the amount in the recipe, adding more if you think it needs it.
- Swop a long list of curry spices for garam masala, do the same when it asks for cinnamon or allspice.
- Use milk and a knob of butter where it says cream, or even milk alone.
- Try using water or stock in place of milk in sauces.
- Use oil in place of hard fats in pastry and baking.
5 cheap family recipes to try out on your friends – these recipes are from the site, only available on Wayback now
- Carrot cake, serve this to anyone anytime, it’s ace, its got veg and fruit in it, it freezes well and it’s delicious.
- Pizza, everyone loves pizza. There are lots of pizza recipes here, on Thrifty Lesley, some scone based for speed, lots of different flavours
- Hummus, with chopped carrots and melba toasts, serve a crowd for pennies.
- Pea risotto a very stretchy meal for when you have unexpected company.
- Doughnuts who could resist a fresh donut?
5 fillings for an oil pastry pie that could also be steamed as a pudding
- Chicken and onion or mushroom
- Lentil, coconut and beansprouts
- Corned beef and mushroom
- Salmon and prawn
- Beef ragu
5 ways to get your 5 a day you might not have thought of. In the UK, we struggle to eat 5 a day, although Government recommendations have recently been increased to 7 or 8 a day, and to be frank, the more you can manage, the better. If you struggle with it, some of these might help.
- Dried fruit, a smaller portion of 20g count toward your 5 a day, break out those raisins!
- Pulses, one portion of 3 heaped tablespoons a day counts
- Fruit juice, a 150ml glass one portion per day
- Tomato puree, a mere 1 tablespoon and practically a super food in its own right.
- Onions, often overlooked as one of your 5 a day.
so, you could, for example sprinkle 20g raisins ( a purple portion, the hardest one to get) on your morning bran flakes, and have a small glass of fruit or vegetable juice. Lunchtime, have tomato puree in your soup or spread in your sandwich. At dinner have a medium carrot and 3 tablespoons peas and there you are – 5 a day. Choose a pizza with an eye on the veg and that would probably have 2 portions as well, with the tomato sauce base and the onion and maybe other veg too on top. It doesn’t have to be all ‘my body is a temple’
5 things to put on a cfr buffet.
- Mini calzone
- Mini pies
- Hummus, maybe a vegetable one, and carrot sticks/melba toasts
- Lunchtime pate with toasts
- Carrot cake
5 flavourings for hummus, one of my favourite things
- Roasted onions
- Tomato puree
- Garam masala, or any other spices
- Roasted peppers
5 things that make mince go further
- Oats no one will notice I promise
- Lentils , as per oats
- Potato topping
5 ways to make meat go further
- Put it in a pie
- Add onions and other veg
- Use a potato topping
- Cut it very small and mix it into veg etc
- Shred it
5 cfr recipes for the school bake sale
5 cfr comfort foods for cold days
- Ginger loaf
- Potato and onion soup
- Pasta carbonara
5 miserly ways to keep clean
- stop using soap and shower gel. It’s lovely to use, but you don’t need it to keep clean, and you won’t smell, I promise. I haven’t used it for over 40 years.
- Use salt or baking powder to replace toothpaste
- Mix glycerine from the chemist 50:50 with water, spritz a squirt or two of your favourite perfume in a small spraybottle and fill with glycerine/water. Use as an all over moisteriser. Costs pennies, lasts ages
- Use half the amount of powder/washing liquid in a wash load
- Use a thimble of washing up liquid for the dishes
5 ways to save fuel
- Use a slow cooker as often as you can, they use tiny amounts of fuel
- Fill up the oven when you cook, batch cook for the week and have ding cuisine
- Rice can be cooked with the minimum of fuel by putting 1 cup of rice in two cups of cold water, bring to the boil in a pan with a very tight lid, turn the heat off and leave it alone
- Use a microwave to cook veg, it doesn’t kill off the vitamins and uses small amounts of power
- Close the curtains at dusk to help keep in the warmth and keep the doors closed indoors for any rooms not currently being used
5 ways to save when shopping
- Menu plan for the week/fortnight/month
- Look in the cupboards and freezer when menu planning or before you go shopping to see what you already have and use that first
- Take a list and plan and don’t buy anything else unless you swap something out from your menu plan if something is worth getting on offer
- See if you can last another 1/2/3 days before shopping, get creative with what you have. Do this every time and pretty soon you will have a ‘free’ weeks shopping that you could use to spend on something else.
- Have soup and a pudding once a week as a cheap meal
5 most productive crops
- Runner and/or French beans
- Square metre of cut and come again lettuce/watercress/rocket
- Minarette fruit tree/s. They only need 2 square feet per tree in a reasonably sunny spot. Fiesta apples are multi purpose, plums very productive, cherries yield lots of a fruit that is expensive to buy, although they must be protected from birds.
- Courgette, lots of courgette from each bush plant
- Tomatoes when under cover, even if only a polythene sheet. In my little greenhouse, I grow an ordinary small type, which has the most fruit for the space, a stripy medium sized one called Tigerella with outstanding flavour and a heritage variety called Brandywine that is a very large beefsteak type with the most amazing flavour.
So there we have it, a few random lists of 5. What would you have added?