This delicious chickpea crumble is dinner for the first day in the Week One Meal Plan, and only 46p, including sides, bargainlicious – I love chickpeas me
If you have a little cheese available, stir 15g into the crumble topping before cooking
This crumble is from Meal Plan 1, a complete 7 day plan for 2 adults. Contains 3 meals a day, plus snacks , all recipes and a shopping list
- 40 g self raising flour 45p/1.5kg, 1p
- 20 g oats 75p/kg, 1p
- 25 g salted peanuts 48p/200g, 6p
- 50 ml vegetable oil £1.09/litre, 5p
- 50 g onion chopped, 59p/kg, 3p
- 110 g potatoes scrubbed and chopped (no need to peel) £1.25/2.5kg, 6p
- ½ tin tomatoes 28p a tin, 14p
- 200 g chick peas 1 tin, drained, 33p. Or 100g soaked overnight and cooked until soft, or pressure cooked from dry for 45 minutes
- 400 g onion chopped, 59p/kg, 24p
- 160 g peas 62p/907g, 11p
- To make the crumble topping – add the oil not used to saute the onion to the flour and oats and stir in the peanuts.
- Sauté the onion and potatoes in a little of the oil until soft.
- Stir in the tomatoes.
- Simmer gently with lid on for 15 minutes until potatoes are soft.Click here to start a 15 minute timer
- Stir the chickpeas into the tomato sauce and season with black pepper and
salt to taste. Ensure the mixture is veering towards sloppy, otherwise
the cooked crumble will be a little dry.
- Put the tomato mixture into a greased ovenproof dish and top with the crumble.
- Chop the onions, still with the peel on, into large chunks. Put in a
small roasting pan and toss with a little oil, salt and pepper.
Cooking them both
- Bake the crumble and onions at 190C/375F/Gas 5 for about 30 minutesClick here to start a 30 minute timer
- Cook the peas and serve everything together.
VariationsPriced at Lidl using mySupermarket September 2019 If you have a little cheese available, stir 15g into the crumble topping before cooking This crumble is from Meal Plan 1, a complete 7 day plan for 2 adults. Contains 3 meals a day, plus snacks , all recipes and a shopping list Got a great recipe? How about submitting it to appear on Thrifty Lesley!
Thrifty Lesley has an associated Facebook Group. Do come over and say hello if you haven’t already joined. I’d love to see you
I’m a perpetual dieter, and to help with that endeavour, there is now also a Thrifty Lesley dieting group, a lovely, growing community