dinner for the first day in Week One, and only 46p, including sides, bargainlicious – I love chickpeas me
- 50g onion, chopped
- 110g potatoes, scrubbed and chopped (no need to peel)
- Half a tin of tomatoes (200g)
- 40g self raising flour
- 25g salted peanuts
- 50ml vegetable oil
- 20g porridge oats
- 100g chick peas, soaked overnight and cooked until soft, or pressure cooked from dry for 45 minutes, or 1 tin, drained
- 400g onion
- 160g peas
- Sauté the onion and potatoes in a little of the oil until soft. Stir in the tomatoes. Simmer gently with lid on for 20 minutes until potatoes are soft.
- Crumble – add remaining oil to flour and oats and stir in the peanuts.
- Stir the chickpeas into the tomato sauce, season with black pepper and salt to taste. Ensure the mixture is veering towards sloppy, otherwise the cooked crumble will be a little dry. Put the tomato mixture into a greased ovenproof dish and top with the crumble.
- Chop the onions, still with the peel on into large chunks. Put in a small roasting pan and toss with a little oil, salt and pepper.
- Bake the crumble and onions at 190C/375F/Gas 5 for about 30 minutes
- Serve with the peas.
If you have a little cheese available, stir 15g into the crumble topping before cooking
Calories 749, Protein 27, Fat 31, Carbohydrate 92
Cost 46p per serving, including onions and peas
This crumble is from Meal Plan 1, a complete 7 day plan for 2 adults. Contains 3 meals a day, plus snacks , all recipes and a shopping list