Apparently, it is Meat Free May this month. Friends of the Earth started this campaign to raise awareness of what a diet that is heavy in meat and fish can do to the planet. We are being advised to eat less meat and fish for all sorts of reasons – health, environmental, planetary etc
This is what FoE say about it
Meat Free May
Kick start your lower and better meat diet
Most people eat meat twice a day without even thinking about it. But the amount of meat and fish we feast on is damaging our planet and our health.
- Livestock production makes up 14.5% of total global greenhouse gas emissions and is one of the causes of deforestation and climate change.
- Our taste for fish had been stripping the seas; over 70% of the world’s fish stocks are over or fully exploited.
- Our health is suffering: a shift to lower-meat diets in the UK could prevent 45,000 early deaths each year and save the NHS over £1.2 billion per year.
But cutting down on the amount of meat and fish we eat can seem daunting. What do you cook instead? How do you get the right balance of nutrients?
Take part in Meat Free May – sign up to join 2016’s Meat Free May. Try out new meat-free recipes and discover just how easy and tasty they can be.
Meat, fish and dairy are the most expensive items when I am frugalising a recipe, so many meals on ThriftyLesley just happen to be vegetarian, and a great many are vegan too.
Breakfasts and Lunches are pretty easy. Dinner might be more difficult. Especially if you are used to eating meat and fish most days. If you would like some inspiration, have a look at these and see what you think. Here are 31 recipes that are among my favourites, with not a scrap of meat or fish in any of them, enough to keep you going all month even if you have something different every day.
- Roguefort Tart
- Tapas – Patatas Bravas, Spinach Dumplings in Tomato Sauce, Lemony Butter Beans with a touch of Honey.
- Balti Spring Green Pancakes
- Stuffed Pancakes
- Peanut Butter Noodles
- Olive Drop Scones, Crispy Fried Onions and Carrot Ribbon Salad
- Beetroot and Feta Tart
- Vegetable Crumble
- Chole & Nan
- Tomato Dhal & Rice
- Spinach Dumplings with Spicy Tomato Sauce
- Vegetable Casserole & Dumplings
- Wild Garlic Pesto Pasta– wild garlic is still around during May
- Dahl Sambar
- Pasta, Tomato Sauce & Cheddar
- Fiery Potatoes, spicy & delicious
- Cheese & Onion Roly Poly
- Onion Tart
- Courgette Pasta
- Spicy Cabbage, Lentils & Nan
- Chickpea, Coconut & Mango Curry
- Broad Bean, Pea & Mint Risotto
- Roast parsnip &, apple salad, with carrot & peanut & raisin salad and jacket potato
- Green lentil cottage pie
- Meatless Sunday Lunch
- Avocado, Tomato & Orange Salad, with Focaccia
- Melanzane Parmigiana, the classic Italian Aubergines and Parmesan
- Mushroom Strogonoff
- Feta Stuffed Peppers
I’m hungry now!
image from FoE site
Thrifty Lesley has an associated Facebook Group. Do come over and say hello if you haven’t already joined. I’d love to see you
I’m a perpetual dieter, and to help with that endeavour, there is now also a Thrifty Lesley dieting group, a lovely, growing community