I love this soup, it is my go to for a soup for lunch. I usually add a tsp of ginger paste from a jar, a tsp of garlic paste, and a tsp of turmeric to give it a lovely spicy kick, and at 16p a serving, you can have a big bowl.
If you want to add different curry pastes or powder, try what you have and you’ll get a different flavour every time. Reduce the water right down, and you can use this as a pasta sauce. You’ll need to watch it carefully to make sure it doesn’t burn. I haven’t tried it yet, when I do, I’ll tell you how much water to use
- 70 g onion chopped
- 100 g carrots scrubbed and chopped (no need to peel)
- 250 g red lentils
- 1 tblsp oil
- Saute the onion and carrots in the oil until soft.
- Add the red lentils and a litre of water.
- Simmer for 20 minutes. Click here to start a 20 minute timer
- Whizz with a stick blender or in a liquidiser, or leave as it is.
- Add more water if the soup is thicker than you would like
Thrifty Lesley has an associated Facebook Group. Do come over and say hello if you haven’t already joined. I’d love to see you
I’m a perpetual dieter, and to help with that endeavour, there is now also a Thrifty Lesley dieting group, a lovely, growing community