This post may contain affiliate links. If it does, and you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a small amount. This does not affect the price you pay. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I believe in and that will be good for readers.
This is the 4th post in a series of 4, exploring what to make with a packet of smoked mackerel
So, we have one more mackerel fillet left. How about this lovely, spicy kedgeree. Would be delicious for either lunch or dinner. I have eaten kedgeree many times, cold in a lunchbox. I love it with a big pile of fresh, crunchy radishes when I have it cold.
Spicy Mackerel Kedgeree
- 1 onion, (100g) 98p/2kg, 5p
- half of 1 fillet of smoked mackerel £2.03 for 2 fillets, 50p
- 150g rice, 40p/1kg, 6p
- black pepper
- 2 tsp lemon juice 50p/100ml, 5p
- 2 eggs, £1.35/15 eggs, Asda, 18p
- tbslp curry powder, TRS from Asda 49p/100g, 2p
- Boil the rice in lots of boiling salted water until the rice is tender. Add the eggs in their shells to the rice while it is cooking to boil the eggs at the same time, 5 minutes before the rice is cooked
- Saute the onion in a little oil until it is transparent
- Add the curry powder to the onion and sizzle a minute
- Remove the skin from the fish fillet and flake the flesh with a fork
- Drain the rice and cool the eggs in cold water. Once cool enough, peel the eggs and quarter
- Add the fish and rice to the onion and curry powder, mix well
- Carefully add the egg quarters, do not mix too much at this stage as the eggs will break up
Serve hot or cold. Some peas stirred through would be good, or some salady veg on the side
per serving, 524 calories, 24g protein, 20g fat, 62g carb
This is what I did with the other 3 half fillets
I think these 4 dishes are amazing. Delicious lunches or dinners using just half a smoked mackerel fillet for two people. It doesn’t look like much when you look at that measly half fillet. But these fish pack such a big punch of flavour, that it spreads itself around and makes a dish taste wonderful. I do hope you’ll try them, I enjoyed experimenting and maybe I’ll do another 4 recipes, there are plenty more ideas out there!