Tomato dhal and rice, quick, very cheap, and easy – what’s not to like? This is a recipe I learned while working on the site http://cheap-family-recipes.org/
I like the Dahl just on its own, but it would go well with a crisp green salad, or a few cooked veggies. I cook this again and again, it goes great with other curry dishes as a side dish too.
Tomato Dahl & Rice
- 125g dry weight red lentils 500g/£1, 25p
- 75g chopped onion approx 3 medium onions Asda Smartprice 2kg/98p, 4p
- half a 400g tin tomatoes, 11p
- 20ml veg oil, Asda 1litre/£1.25, 2.5p
- 1 heaped tspn garlic, or a clove, fine chopped 1 bulb/25p, 8 cloves to a bulb? 3p
- 1 heaped tsp garam masala, Asda Rajah brand 100g/72p 4p
- salt and pepper to taste
- 100g rice, 1kg/40p, 4p
- Fry onion in oil and add spices. When turning golden, stir in lentils and tomatoes, chopped up and their juice, so oil coats the grains, then add a cup of water at a time, waiting til it looks absorbed.
- Add enough water to make a consistency like thick soup, and all the lentils fully dissolved. A taste test will show you, if it’s still ‘powdery’ add more liquid and keep boiling!
- While the dahl is cooking, put the rice in a pan with lots of boiling, salted water. Simmer for a few minutes until just cooked. Drain well in a sieve.
This dish freezes well and reheats perfectly in the microwave.
per serving – calories 510, protein 21, fat 10.6, carb 83g
This features in Meal Plan 2, a complete 7 day plan for 2 adults. Contains 3 meals a day, plus snacks , all recipes and a shopping list
Thrifty Lesley has an associated Facebook Group. Do come over and say hello if you haven’t already joined. I’d love to see you
I’m a perpetual dieter, and to help with that endeavour, there is now also a Thrifty Lesley dieting group, a lovely, growing community