Vegetable Crumble is a family favourite in our house.
The girls liked it when they were still living at home, and my husband loves it
I use 2 of these pyrex dishes, and DP has two helpings, it’s the only way I can stop him helping himself to tomorrows dinner!
- 100 ml vegetable oil 14p from a 1 litre bottle
- 100 g flour 3p – any of the own brand bags at 45p/1.5kg
- 75 g oats 6p – 75p/1.5kg
- 100 g cheddar 50p – Asda mature cheddar £4.98/kg
- 50 g salted peanuts 12p – Asda 48p/200g
- 340 g potatoes 16p – Asda £1.18/2.5kg
- 340 g carrots 27p – 80p/kg
- 100 g onion chopped, 5p – Asda 98p/2kg
- 400 g tinned tomatoes 29p – any of the own brands
- 3 tbslp parsley fine chopped, optional
- 2 bay leaves optional
- Mix all the topping ingredients together and put to one side
- Saute all the root vegetable in a little oil until soft. You really need to do this, once you add the tomatoes, the potato and carrot don’t seem to soften any more, and boiled onion is not the flavour we are after here.
- Put the base in an oven proof dish and pile the topping over it
- Bake at 190° for about half an hour
- If you have any available, a crisp green vegetable goes well
Any root vegetable you have will work well here. If you have seeds of any description, a spoon or two in the topping is delicious, I like sesame and sunflower
If you don’t have any cheese, leave it out, the crumble will still taste lovely
Thrifty Lesley has an associated Facebook Group. Do come over and say hello if you haven’t already joined. I’d love to see you
I’m a perpetual dieter, and to help with that endeavour, there is now also a Thrifty Lesley dieting group, a lovely, growing community